Thursday, August 01, 2013

Into dreamland

This is not a work of fiction, per se. It is a fragment of a dream.

I often have what I call vivid dreams. These dreams are as emotionally charged as watching a movie, and I usually don't wake up rested after them.

Some are bizarre, which is what I also call them, when trying to explain to people why I look like I've been up all night, even though I got eight (or more) hours of sleep.

The one I just woke up from:

I'm in my kitchen, yelling at a passel of small children to get away from the sink. My scream scares them, and they run. But it's not the sink I want them to get away from, it's the stove. Where the pan I put on to boil water has been on a lit burner since before I took my nap.

I throw a dish towel over the pan and it bursts into flames. I grab at it and drop the pan on the counter (where in real life I promised in a signed lease that I would never place a hot pan - and this thought bothers me in the dream), where it leaves a scorched mark (I can actually see daylight underneath the flaked-off remnants, which is truly bizarre), while I try to deal with the flaming dish towel.

I get all of this under control - hot pan, fiery dish towel, and the next thing I know, I see in the trash my think bamboo cutting board (which I don't have in real life) and a bunch of my pretty, all-different-colors knives (which I do truly own). I don't know why they are in the trash, but I pick them out and start washing them all by hand.

And that, kiddies, is where I woke up.  There was more before that, but I can't make sense of it to write it down.

I've been wanting to write, and am part of a couple of writing sites and a closed forum, but yet can't get the fiction to come forth.

I have plenty of ideas, sometimes. I will see something and it makes me think, that should be a story. But I have a hard time getting started, even with prompts like the ones in the stories on this blog.

So I'm going to start putting my dreams down - as much as I can remember and is appropriate. Because there may be things in my dreams I don't wish to share for one reason or another.

I will try to remember to have the word "dream" in the title, to distinguish it from something that I make up with my waking mind.

No comments: